As we are going to discuss witch hazel and spider veins here, I would like to clarify that we are talking about witch hazel astringent but not the plant. Our ancestors, typically, used witch hazel to clean face to get the better skin tone.
Witch hazel astringent is a compound formed from the bark and leaves of a plant in North America which is called as Witch hazel cold sores shrub. It’s an important compound which is used to manufacture numerous healthcare products. The witch hazel water can be processed by distillation or maceration (softening by soaking in a fluid). It’s majorly used to treat the spider veins.
Spider veins, which are scientifically called as telangiectasia, are some tiny blood vessels formed near the surface of the nose, chin, and legs etc. These veins are usually so small and they measure between 0.5 to 1.0mm. Typically, you’ll find spider veins on the face or legs. When they appear on the legs, most commonly they are spotted on the knee joint, upper thigh, and around the ankles. They induce pain and burning sensation on the surface where they are found.
Witch Hazel and Spider Veins
Many patients who encounter spider veins on their skin trying to get assistance from the physicians that are trained in peripheral vascular diseases or master in vein care (vein treatment). These specialists are called phlebologists or vascular surgeons.
It was long ago when opting for vascular surgeons was inevitable to get the treatment for spider veins. However, thankfully, clinics have made the natural witch hazel remedy available in your nearest food stores and online stores. You can have witch hazel for spider veins to treat at home without needing any medical attention.
Conferring to scientific studies and research, the alternate medications like Witch Hazel creams or oils can be effective in curing of spider veins in people. It’s medically proved as an astringent and anti-inflammatory product that can be deployed as an alternate remedy to shrink the spider veins in legs and face. Witch Hazel’s chief ingredients include natural tannins and volatile oils which are best for Witch hazel and spider veins treatment. These ingredients perform their tasks on spider veins to shrink them underneath the dermal layer of the skin.
According to research on witch hazel and spider veins, it’s found that there’s homeostatic effects and therapeutic effects on the spider veins when it’s from the Witch Hazel oils. It means when the Witch Hazel oils are used to treat the spider veins, it can recover the blood in the injured veins for fast recovery and healing. Furthermore, it eradicates the presence of spider veins on the face and legs proficiently.
What are the causes of spider veins?
When some of the factors influence to weaken the valves in the blood vessels, then the spider veins are formed. The major causes of spider veins include:
- Any injury or trauma in the skin
- Previous blood clots in the body
- Sitting or standing for a long time
- Heredity – it’s typically passed on through genes
- People with light-colored skin find spider veins when they are exposed to Sun for long
- Congested liver – at times liver stress and impaired detoxification exert extra pressure on the veins
- Because of hormonal changes during pregnancy, menopause, menstruation, taking birth control tabs or hormone replacement therapy
- Wearing tight clothes
Symptoms of spider veins
The primal symptoms of spider veins include the formation of red, purple, or blue veins on the face or legs. Other symptoms are:
- Bulkiness or tiredness in the legs, specifically after standing or sitting for a long time
- Throbbing pain in the legs
- Skin ulcers near the skin
- Itching around the veins
Witch Hazel and Spider veins: How to prevent spider veins?
- Do not take alcohol in excess as it will dilate veins over the time
- Reduce wearing high heels repeatedly
- Reduce the salt intake
- Do not stand or sit in one position for too long
- Maintain weight to your normal age and height conditions
- Dress compression stockings
- Stretch your legs at least once in an hour every day
- Try not to sit with cross legs
- Always apply sunscreen if you have light-colored skin
- Go for a jog or walk regularly to keep the blood circulation in legs and strengthen the muscle strength of legs
Witch Hazel for Spider Veins: Benefits of Witch Hazel
Like we said before, the natural tannins and volatile oils are the chief ingredients of the Witch Hazel, which work as vasoconstrictors, constricting small spider veins underneath the skin’s surface. Agreeing to the University of Michigan Health System, German pharmacological revisions show that Witch Hazel fortifies veins and turns as an anti-inflammatory. Tannins are also responsible for the action of Witch Hazel astringent that helps in tightening the distended veins and repair the regular assembly of the veins.
Moreover, author of Honest Herbal, Dr. Varro E. Tyler stated that Commission E, German appointed government scientists, recognized Witch Hazel’s antiseptic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory resources in medicating varicose veins. The key constituents of the Witch Hazel plant aid to shrink tissue and act as slight tranquilizers to release pain and uneasiness related with spider veins.
History of Witch Hazel and spider veins
Since 1600, Witch Hazel has been in the use among American natives for various medical purposes. During those days, in the U.S., it was popular for its healing and therapeutic properties; hence, witch hazel primly used for the hemorrhoids and diverse skin conditions. The wide usage of Witch Hazel started in the year 1887 by Dr. John V. Shoemaker, who was responsibly discovering the Witch Hazel’s capability to cure swollen veins, thanks to its haemostatic, astringent, and anti-inflammatory effects. Now, the recent studies have proved that Witch Hazel can easily treat the spider veins on the face and legs because of the presence of bio-chemicals like volatile oils and tannins.
Witch Hazel and spider veins – Synopsis of Witch Hazel’s primary ingredients
The principle ingredients of Witch Hazel include:
- Volatile Oils – It’s one of the primal things in witch hazel that contributes to the superb medical astringent benefits of witch hazel. Volatile oil works to decrease bleeding, diminish inflammation, and binding the tissues together. When you apply Witch Hazel on spider veins, it acts upon the skin to shrink spider veins and ease the pain and discomfort aroused by it.
- Tannins – It’s another principle ingredient present in the Witch Hazel which provides the astringent property. Tannins are naturally found in Witch Hazel compound extract. It has astringent effects which are very useful for a variety of skin disorders. It works well while treating people with spider veins as an anti-inflammatory. Tannin operates on small spider veins to shrink them that are underneath the dermal layer of skin while strengthening the blood vessels and reinstating the veins to its normal structure.
Benefits of Witch Hazel in removing Spider Veins
Witch Hazel is an anti-inflammatory herbal extract and a prevailing astringent. Thus, it’s often prescribed by the herbalists and by doctors as an alternative medicine to treat various skin disorders such as spider veins which can be very tiresome and embarrassing. So, it’s clinically proved according to alternative medicine experts that Witch hazel and spider veins can be clubbed together when you find them on face or legs to cure them.
Howbeit, there are very inadequate shreds of evidence and research available on the effectiveness and efficiencies of the Witch hazel. Since it has been in the use for eras, we can conclude its ability to treat spider veins and other skin disorders.
How to use Witch hazel for spider veins
You can witch hazel in a variety of solutions to your spider veins. It’s present in diverse forms in the market such as tinctures, creams, and teas. You can also prepare a witch hazel medicine at home by boiling the bark, leaves, and twigs of it with hot water to get a solution. You may use this solution directly on areas of the skin disorders. So, how can you use this solution mainly on the spider veins?
Simple, grab a cotton ball, dip it in the solution and apply smoothly on the spider veins. Make sure you apply the solution twice a day until the condition is enhanced and vanishes the spider veins. Most importantly, remember that it is only for external use but not for internal usage.
Considerations of Witch Hazel while using for spider veins
You have to notice certain side effects of Witch hazel just like you check on any other medicines. I recommend using the witch hazel treatment for external application and to ignore consuming syrups, oral pills, or tablets made of witch hazel. It may lead to nausea, vomiting, liver damage, stomach upset, constipation, and even more hassle when indigested. Ingesting of witch hazel in an oral method can pointedly inhibit the absorption of medicines with alkaloids.
As tannin is the prime ingredient of Witch hazel, it’s hereby informed to avoid the prolonged usage of it for spider veins. You should only use its solution until the condition of spider veins is improved and vanished from the skin. However, if you still want to avail further benefits of Witch hazel, I recommend you to consult a doctor.
Other uses of Witch Hazel
Apart from using witch hazel astringent to treat spider veins, you can use it for a variety of other purposes. Its treatment to prevent and cure enlarged and twisted veins on the surface of the skin and varicose veins have proven to be very effective. As Witch hazel is rich in anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antioxidant constituents, it can effectively treat such skin conditions.
Furthermore, it’s also popular for reducing the symptoms of skin conditions such as achy legs, heavy legs, mild swelling, itchy legs, night cramps, itching over varicose skin and others. Other associated uses of witch hazel are mentioned below:
- Fades blemishes and bruises
- Brightens around the eyes
- Shrinks swollen veins
- Stops bleeding at minor cuts on the skin
- Stops bleeding when applied post hair removal on the head, armpits, and etc.
- Hemorrhoid relief
- Eases a sore throat
- Treats damaged gums
- Dries up swimmer’s ear
- Neutralize contact dermatitis
- Eases pain from stings and bug bites
- Soothes diaper rash
- Chills the sunburn
Witch hazel is a commanding astringent for spider veins, hence making it the most prevalent and natural skin disorder treatment option. It’s particularly useful in the treatment of varicose veins, spider veins, and other skin disorders naturally without requiring any medical intervention. You may buy the readymade commercial witch hazel solution from organic and natural online drug stores or food stores. You can also prepare the solution at home and externally apply on the affected areas of skin till the condition improves and vanishes the skin disorders.