No, witch hazel on face is not something that is conjured up from a fantasy novel; instead, it’s a very famous plant that grows in North America and some parts of Asia. Witch hazel on face is a great ingredient that is used in toners and other skin care products to eliminate any acne-causing bacteria. In this article, we will go through the various benefits of witch hazel to clean face and how to use witch hazel for acne in your daily skincare routine.
Many people aren’t really aware on how to use witch hazel on face. So, this article will help you out. Witch hazel toner plant has a long history of being used in medicine and also in products for skin care like witch hazel for spider veins on face treatment. It’s a natural resource that not many people know a lot about. Witch hazel benefits a lot of people, when it is used correctly.
What is witch hazel?
Witch hazel is a type of deciduous shrub, and it grows up to 26 feet. Most shrubs are in the mid-range and are found in five species that are distinct. Three species are found in North America. The commonly used name for witch hazel cleanser plants includes, spotted alder, striped alder, and winter bloom.
The shrub grows naturally in the United States mid-west and south of Canada, though it has known to find origins in European gardens for ornamental use.
Witch hazel advantages:
There are many reasons you can use witch hazel to clean face. However, really is witch hazel good for skin? Yes, because, during ancient times, its branches and bark were used by many tribes to heal witch hazel for pores and promote well-being, they were taught the method of boiling the stems, and it was used for soothing any swelling or inflammation.
Using witch hazel on your face:
If you’re looking for a natural and chemical-free way to clean your face, then witch hazel on face will be a great inclusion in your skincare routine. It’s a great option to use witch hazel to clean face because of its anti-bacterial and astringent properties.
Witch hazel on face can soothe the inflamed parts of your skin and also reduce breakout and blemishes. There are many methods on how to use witch hazel for acne in your daily routine.
Use the following steps when using witch hazel to clean face:
Begin by washing your face thoroughly, splash warm water and gently rub a witch hazel cleanser on your skin. Warm water opens the pores and makes it easier for the product to be absorbed. Once you are done with the cleanser you can use cold water to rinse off the lather. Cold water helps in closing the pores; pat your skin dry by using a soft and clean cloth.
Note: Don’t scrub your skin by using a harsh cleanser; it can lead to damage.
Get a spot test done:
- If you have a feeling that your skin may react badly to witch hazel, then you can dab a bit of the witch hazel to clean face on one side of your jawline. Keep it on for five to ten minutes to see if there is any reaction. Witch hazel acne is great for oily skin because of its astringent properties.
- If there is a rash that develops after you have done the spot test, then it’s a sign that witch hazel toner is not meant for you.
- The jury to use witch hazel for acne while you’re pregnant is yet to be out, so avoid using the solution when you’re pregnant.
Soak a cotton ball with witch hazel:
If you have passed the spot test, then let’s move on and apply witch hazel to clean face. Always buy your witch hazel cleanser product from a grocer or a trusted pharmacy. If you do have sensitive skin then look out for witch hazel cleanser that has low alcohol content; so that it does not dry out your skin. Pour the solution onto a cotton pad until its soaked.
Wipe your face with pad:
Swipe the pad all over your face; ensure that your face is clean. Your skin will feel wet initially, but the solution will dry off quickly.
Concentrate on a specific area:
When you use witch hazel to clean face you can cleanse irritated skin, so swipe it along with your T-zone area that’s really oily and prone to breakouts. The T-zone is the forehead and the nose.
Use witch hazel to clean face at least twice a day:
If you’re a beginner when it comes to availing benefits of witch hazel, then use it only once in a day. This way your skin will be able to get used to the solution; it will also not dry out quickly. Once you have used the toner for a couple of weeks, then you can go ahead and use it twice a day.
Witch hazel skin treatments:
Cleansing and shrinking pores:
- When you use witch hazel to clean face, you are cleaning your face and shrinking the pores too. With the help of a small spray bottle, some rose water, witch hazel toner astringent and nine drops of your favorite essential oil, you can create a custom cleansing solution to care for your face. Screw the lid on firmly and shake the bottle well before spraying the solution on your face. If you don’t like the spray, then pour the solution on a cotton pad and apply it to your face.
- You can try using a combination of different essential oils.
- You can apply the toner to remove any remaining dirt or makeup even after washing your face.
- Reduce puffiness and under-eye bags:
- Take two clean cotton pads and soak them in the witch hazel toner recipe solution; after they are soaked place them on shut eyes for three to five minutes. The witch hazel for acne scars tightens your skin and helps reduce puffiness.
Relief from sunburn:
Take some aloe gel and add two teaspoons of witch hazel toner recipe; mix the two ingredients. Spread the solution over the sunburned area and let it dry. Reapply the gel as many times as you want. When you spread the gel on your skin you will feel a cooling sensation when it begins to work. Using witch hazel toner recipe, it can dry out your skin on its own. So, avoid putting it directly on your skin.
- When you use witch hazel to clean face, you are also avoiding any sort of breakouts that can happen in the future. If your skin is acne prone, then witch hazel for acne scars is excellent. Place a cotton ball that is soaked in witch hazel before or after moisturizer directly on your acne area and hold it there for a minute or two. Repeat this process once or twice a day until your acne clears up.
- Witch hazel on face side effects are negligible, and it has acne clearing properties; this is why it’s great at treating eczema and acne breakouts.
Heal cuts and bruises:
- Dip a cotton pad in witch hazel toner recipe solution and press it gently on any cuts or bruises you may have. Hold the cotton in place for 2 to 3 minutes. The witch hazel before or after moisturizer helps with tightening of the skin and also the drainage in the face. This is great because it will speed up the healing process.
- Keep in mind that witch hazel is for minor cuts and bruises, anything major will require immediate medical attention. Apply the witch hazel to wounds at least twice or thrice a day.
Remove stubborn makeup:
By wetting a cotton ball with witch hazel acne solution, you gently wipe off any remnants of makeup from your face and neck. This is an effective way to remove any makeup without having to rub off the makeup vigorously.
Products with witch hazel:
Applying a face mask:
If you find your skin is red and irritated all the time, then applying a face mask once a week is a great idea. You can make your version of a witch hazel acne face pack. All you have to do is mix one teaspoon of witch hazel with two teaspoons of honey; that is if you have dry skin. For oily skin, you must mix the witch hazel with one egg white. Apply the mask liberally all over your face; leave it on for 20 minutes until completely dry. Finally, you can rinse off your face with some cold water and pat it dry with a clean towel.
Try not to rub your skin when you’re taking off the mask; this can damage sensitive skin.
Apply as lotion:
You can apply witch hazel to clean face along with your lotion to moisturize and tighten your pores. Use the lotion once a day; apply the solution after you have cleaned your face.
Treatment of eczema:
Eczema can be a nasty skin condition if left untreated. Purchase a skin cream that has 10 to 20% witch hazel and phosphatidylcholine. Rub the lotion all over the itchy areas at least twice or thrice a day; for effective results.
Creating herb infused witch hazel:
You can buy good quality witch hazel to clean face from a natural grocer or pharmacy. Look it for witch hazel solutions that have 86% witch hazel extract. It should not contain alcohol content that is over 14%; if its more than 14%, it may irritate or even dry your skin.
When you use witch hazel to clean face, you are using a natural ingredient to do so. By incorporating it into your skin care routine, you can avoid having breakouts and also soothe irritated or inflamed skin. Hopefully, this article has helped you with all your witch hazel for acne related queries and doubts like witch hazel on face side effects. If you have any more suggestions to add, then feel free to add them in the comment section below.